What's "5-free" any way? Many of you may ask. It's a term used to distinguish nail polishes that are made without 5 harsh chemicals used in many well known nail polish brands.
1. Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) - known to cause life long reproductive impairments and also linked to cancer. Used in nail polish to increase flexibility and shine.
2. Toluene - Harmful to your nervous system. Inhaling high levels can cause light-headedness and nausea. Used in nail polish as a thinner and gives application a smooth finish.
3. Formaldehyde - is a chemical used to embalm dead animals and humans. Can trigger asthma. Is a well known carcinogen (causes cancer). Used in nail polish as a hardener/preservation. Helps from chipping
4. Formaldehyde Resin - Derivative of formaldehyde, however not as toxin. Skin allergen known to cause dermatitis. Used in nail polish top coats as a nail strengthener.
5. Camphor - poisonous. Can cause seizures and disorientation if used in large doses. Acts as a cover on your nails, which deprives them of nutrients and causing yellow staining on your nails.
Well there you have it! A little fun fact to look into when you choose your nail polish!